Municipal Office


  • Consider switching to an artificial tree as there is less risk of a fire

  • Test live, cut trees for freshness by bending a few needles in half. If they snap in two, the tree is dry and poses a greater fire risk

  • Keep cut trees in a sturdy, non-tip stand

  • Make sure the tree is at least one metre (3 feet) away from any flame or heat source

  • Try to position the tree near an outlet so that cords are not running long distances

  • Do not place the tree where it may block exits

  • Never decorate a tree with candles

  • Inspect electrical lights and extension cords for wear and tear and replace any cords that are beginning to fray or have broken sockets

  • Use only light sets that have been certified by a recognized testing and certification organization such as CSA or ULC

  • Do not overload the circuit by stringing too many cords together at a single outlet

  • Unplug all lights - inside and outside - before going to bed or leaving home

  • Safely dispose of the tree when it begins dropping needles. Remember, dried-out trees are flammable and should not be left inside the home or garage or placed against the house.