Municipal Office

CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY


What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

Carbon Monoxide is a tasteless, odourless and invisible poisonous gas that can be fatal. It is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil, wood and kerosene have insufficient air to burn completely.

Reduce your risk of CO exposure by:

  • Never using a propane or charcoal barbecue indoors
  • Never running your car or lawn mower in a closed garage
  • Never using kerosene or gas space heaters indoors if they are approved for outdoor use only
  • Never allowing an unqualified contractor to service, install or convert fuel-burning equipment
  • Have a certified heating contractor inspect and maintain your fuel-burning appliances at least once a year
  • Install approved CO alarms in your home, cottage, RV and boat cabin
  • Test your CO and smoke alarms monthly
  • Change the batteries to your CO and smoke alarms annually
  • Replace your CO alarms as recommended by the manufacturer

Know the Symptoms of CO poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Sleepiness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Disorientation
  • Loss of consciousness



If you or anyone in your house experience these symptoms, get everyone, including pets, outside to fresh air IMMEDIATELY and call 911.