Municipal Office

DURING AN EMERGENCY

What to Do...

Stay Safe & Healthy

  • When using generators, always follow the manufacturer's safety instructions.


  • Never plug a generator into the regular electrical outlet in your home.


  • Portable generators should not be directly hooked into home wiring.


  • Never use barbecues, gas generators or other gas-fueled appliances inside your home. The carbon monoxide fumes can kill you very quickly.


  • Beware of food contamination.
    Without power, a completely full chest freezer will keep everything frozen for about two days if kept closed.
    A refrigerator will keep food cool for 4 to 6 hours.
    If in doubt, throw it out


  • If you suspect your drinking water supply is contaminated, bring water to a boil for 10 minutes (if possible). Or add 5 drops of chlorine bleach to 4.5 litres of clear water and let it stand for 15 minutes. Or add 10 drops of chlorine bleach to 4.5 litres of cloudy water and let it stand for 30 minutes.
Provide reassurance to your children.

Make sure you are safe before helping others.

Check on your neighbours, especially elderly neighbours, if it is safe to do so.