Municipal Office

KITCHEN SAFETY


Kitchen Safety

  • Never leave cooking unattended
  • Keep the cooking area clean
  • Do not store combustible objects near the stove
  • Always turn pot handles inward on stove
  • Wear short sleeves or close-fitting sleeves when cooking
  • Do not overheat cooking oil
  • Teach children about safe cooking

If a cooking fire starts:

  • Pot on stovetop: Put a lid on a pot or pan that catches fire. Turn off the stove burner. Leave the lid on until completely cool. Do not carry the burning pan to a sink or outside - movement may permit oxygen to the fire allowing it to ignite, or cause hot grease to spill and cause burns.
  • Oven or microwave: Keep the door shut and turn off the heat. If flames do not go out immediately, call the fire department (911). Opening the oven or microwave door allows oxygen to the fire and increases the potential for the fire to spread beyond the appliance.
  • Never pour water on a grease fire!
  • Always keep a fire extinguisher at the kitchen door