Municipal Office


Marriage Licence Requirements

You may obtain a marriage licence application from any municipal office in the Province of Ontario. It is valid for three months anywhere in the Province.

To apply for a marriage licence, ensure that both you and your partner meet all the criteria listed below.

The Application

You may obtain a marriage application from the Township of Scugog Muncipal Office or online at

Complete all the information requested on the form. Both parties must sign the form and have the proper identification. One (or both of you) must go to the Township of Scugog Municipal Office to complete the process. If you have the proper documentation, complete the form correctly and have the proper fee, your licence will be issued to you the same day.


Two pieces of identification for each party is required.  The following documents will be accepted:

  • Birth certificate
  • Current Passport
  • Current Driver's licence
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing

Identity documents must be original, photocopies will not be accepted.

Age Requirements

Both partners must be 18 years of age or older. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, parental consent is required. Please contact the Township of Scugog Municipal Office at 905 985 7346 ext. 115 for additional information. If you are under the age of 16 years you may not marry in the Province of Ontario.

Licence Fee

The Licence Fee in the Township of Scugog is $125.00. This fee can be paid by cash, money order, certified cheque or debit card. Please note that the municipality will not refund marriage licence fees once a licence has been issued.


The Township of Scugog issues marriage licences to all eligible couples. Same-sex couples have been receiving marriage licences since June 11, 2003 following the June 10, 2003 Ontario Court of Appeal decision making same-sex marriages legal in Ontario.

Marriage After Divorce

If you were divorced in Canada, you must provide the original or a court-certified copy of your Certificate of Divorce, or Decree Absolute (a Divorce Order, Divorce Judgement or Decree Nisi is not acceptable). Photocopies will not be accepted. A certified copy of your certificate of divorce can be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce.

If you were divorced, or your marriage dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, you must get authorization from the Minister of Government Services before a marriage licence can be issued to you. Visit the Service Ontario website at or call the Township of Scugog Municipal Office 905 985 7346 to learn how to obtain this authorization.


There are no citizenship or residency requirements when applying for a marriage licence in Ontario.

Medical Requirements

Blood tests or medical certificates are not required for a marriage licence in Ontario.

Publication of Banns

A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the publication of banns. If you are having a religious ceremony, please check with the clergy prior to obtaining a marriage licence.

Who may Perform a Marriage Ceremony

A marriage ceremony in Ontario may be performed by a Minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage Act and Ministers that will marry people of other affiliations.

The Township of Scugog does not provide services for a civil ceremony.

Marriage and the Change of Name

The parties to the marriage ceremony have three basic options following marriage:

  • Continue to use their current last name

Under this course of action, the spouse who wishes to continue to use their current last name needs to take no action.

  • "Assume" the use of the spouse's last name

Spouses may take the other spouse's last name and use it as a result of their marriage. Most government organizations, credit card companies etc. will accept a copy of the formal marriage certificated as proof of marriage and will issue revised identification for the spouse under their new last name.

  • Legally change their last name

In this instance, the spouse elects the option under the Change of Name Act, completes the appropriate forms and submits them to the Office of the Registrar General. These forms are available at
The Office of the Registrar General amends the individual's birth record, replacing the last name on that record with the married name, and retaining the former name in brackets. The Office of the Registrar General then issues a change of name certificate. If the individual was born in Ontario, a new birth certificate will be retained by the Province.

For more information regarding the Change of Name Act, please contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1 800 461 2156.