Development Charges pay for increased capital costs required because of increased needs for services arising from development within the Township of Scugog . These services include:

  • Library services
  • Fire services
  • Parks and Recreation services
  • Public Works services
  • Animal control
  • General government
  • Township engineering

The current Development Charges By-law was passed by Council on May 27, 2019.

View the 2019 Development Charge Background Study - Version for Public Consultation

Note: Please view the Notice of Passing of the Development Charges By-law

Township of Scugog Development Charges Schedule, effective July 1, 2022.

The Township of Scugog's Development Charges Form

Learn more about the Development Charges Act.

The information on this page is for guidance only. You should review the Development Charges By-law and consult with the Development Services department to confirm which charges apply to your development project.

Calculating Development Charges

The Township's development charges apply to most new buildings and some expansions. Charges for residential projects depend on the type of dwelling and apply on a per unit basis. Different types of dwellings include:

  • Single houses
  • Semi-detached houses
  • Row houses
  • Apartments

Non-residential charges depend on the type of development and are applied on the basis of the building's floor area. Different types of non-residential developments include:

  • Commercial
  • Industrial
  • Institutional

Collecting Development Charges

Development Charges are to be paid at building permit issuance, unless otherwise specified in the development agreement.

Regional and education Development Charges

The Township of Scugog collects Development Charges on behalf of the Region of Durham and the Durham District and Durham Catholic District School Boards. Using information based on the information provided by the applicants, these agencies advise the Township of the amount to collect.

The Region of Durham can answer questions about Regional Development Charges.

Direct any questions about educational Development Charges to the Durham District School Board.