Animal Services in the Township of Scugog ensures the community is safe and healthy for animals and residents. Our Animal Services program runs in partnership with the Township of Uxbridge.

Animal Control By-law

Scugog's Animal Control By-law is enforced by our Animal Services department.

Fill out an Animal Services Formal Complaint Report to let us know about any animal control concerns you have.

Submit your form by fax to 905-985-2015 or in person to the Animal Services Centre at:
1360 Reach Street
Port Perry, ON L9L 1B2

Animal shelter

Scugog's animal shelter is located in the Animal Services Centre.

Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (June to December open until 2 p.m.)

Learn about animals currently up for adoption.

New animal shelter

A group of concerned residents created the charitable organization, New Animal Shelter for Uxbridge-Scugog (charity registration number 85317 3300 RR0001).

The organization and its Board of Directors were created to address the poor condition of the current animal shelter. The not-for-profit group will:

  • Raise funds ($1 million) to support the development of the new shelter
  • Raise community awareness about the project
  • Coordinate the construction of the shelter, with help from community volunteers and paid professionals

The new shelter will be located at:

5500 Lake Ridge Road
Uxbridge, ON L9P 1R4

Learn about making a donation or volunteering your time to the New Animal Shelter for Uxbridge Scugog.

Frequently asked questions

Below are frequently asked questions about Animal Services in the Township of Scugog.

What do I do if I encounter a sick or injured wild animal?

If you have found a sick or injured wild animal in need of help, call The Toronto Wildlife Hotline at (416) 631-0662 and follow the appropriate prompts to leave a message. They aim to return emergency calls within the hour between 9am and 6pm. Messages left after 6pm will be returned the following morning. Alternatively call: Shades of Hope Wildlife Refuge in Pefferlaw 705-437-4654, or Procyon Wildlife Rehab Services in Beeton 905-729-0033


It is a common misconception that raccoons that are seen outside during the day are sick or have rabies. Although they are primarily nocturnal, even healthy raccoons will sometimes come out during the day to forage if they feel it is safe to do so or if they are unable to return to their den. Baby raccoons are also commonly seen outside during the day. 


If the wild animal is very active and mobile, keep children and pets indoors until it moves on. Remove attractants from your property ie. outdoor cats and bird food, garbage

What is the protocol for after hours calls?

Emergency Calls

 Between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. and all day on Sundays and Holidays, Animal Services staff will only respond to Emergency Calls dispatched by the After Hours Answering Service. 

"Emergency calls" means any of the following:

  • an injured animal (domestic or wild) that requires immediate medical treatment;
  • an animal carcass on a Township roadway that poses an imminent hazard to motorists (this should be directed to the Roads Dept after hours number at (1-877-426-4459);
  • an animal carcass on a Regional roadway that poses an imminent hazard to motorists (this should be directed to the Region of Durham after hours number at (905-576-9991);
  • an aggressive dog that is at large that has bitten or attacked a person or another animal and is currently still at large ;
  • a request from Durham Regional Police or a local Fire Department for an Animal Services Officer to attend a location that is deemed to be an emergency; or
  • any other situation that the attendant deems to threaten public safety.

The Manager of By-law Services will contact an Animal Services Officer directly on the Officer's cell phone to dispatch him or her. 


 Callers should be directed to leave a message at 905-985-9547 that will be picked up by an Animal Services Officer between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays), and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. Animal Services does have staff on duty to address non-emergencies.  Any messages left after 5 p.m. Monday to Friday, after 2 p.m. Saturday and on all Sundays or Holidays, will be retrieved the following day. 

Non-emergency calls mean any of the following:

  • a dog or cat at large;
  • a barking dog;
  • carcass on the roadway that is not creating an imminent hazard to motorists;
  • a stray dog that the complainant has taken control of (Animal Services will make arrangements to pick up the dog the following day);
  • dog excrement not being removed by the owner;
  • dog that has not been licensed

 If your call meets the criteria of an emergency as described above please call


What are the hours of operation for Animal Services?

Animal Services have staff on duty from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (June to December open until 2 p.m.).

What types of calls should be referred to alternative agencies?

Animal carcass on private property

    • Please refer to Yellow Pages for Pest Removal or call private Wildlife Control Company


Wildlife on private property such as raccoon, skunk, snake, etc.

    • Please refer to Yellow Pages for Pest Removal or call private Wildlife Control Company


Animal cruelty, neglect or mistreatment.

    • Call 310 -SPCA(7722) anywhere in Ontario.


For a person at risk of potential rabies exposure. For human contact with a suspect rabid animal please call your local Health Department.

    • Durham Region 905-723-3818 or 1-888-777-9613


Domestic Animal with potential rabies exposure (domestic pet or livestock)

    • Call the OMAFRA Agricultural Info Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300.


Wildlife with suspected of rabies, with no known contact with human or domestic animals.

    • Call the MNR Rabies Hotline at 1-888-574-6656

What are the hours of operation for the Animal Services Shelter?

Animal Services have staff on duty from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (June to December open until 2 p.m.).

Do I have to get my cat licensed?

No, Scugog's Animal Control By-law doesn't require you to license your cat.

Do I have to get my dog licensed?

Yes, dogs are required to have an up-to-date dog license tag on their collar at all times. Dogs must be licensed every year.

Can I board my pet at the animal shelter?

Scugog's animal shelter doesn't board pets. Our facilities are used to care for stray or abandoned animals.

How long do you keep stray animals at the shelter? 

We don't limit how long animals stay at the shelter. We hold stray animals for five business days to allow their owners time to reclaim them. After five days, animals are put up for adoption. We take care of them until they get a new home.

How many dogs can I own? 

According to Scugog's Animal Control By-Law, property owners can have up to two dogs. If your property is more than 10 acres, you can have up to three dogs.

Do I have to keep my dog on a leash all the time?

Yes, the Animal Control By-law requires you to have your dog on a leash when you are not on your own property. There are currently no off-leash parks in Scugog.

What does the Animal Services department do?

Animal Services is responsible for animal licensing in Uxbridge and Scugog. They also respond to reports of stray animals, maintain the animal shelter and manage adoptions and records for the animals at the shelter. 

What do I do if an animal bites me?

If you are bit by an animal, get medical help as soon as possible. Report animal bites to the Durham Region Health Department at 905-985-4889 and to our Animal Control Centre at 905-985-9547.

If you feel that you are in immediate danger, call 911.

Who do I call to report cruelty to animals?

Call 310-SPCA (7722) to report animal cruelty, such as neglect or abuse. You can report animal cruelty to the Humane Society of Durham Region at 905-665-7430 or the Durham Regional Police at 905-579-1520.

Who is responsible for picking up after dogs?

Whoever has control of the dog (usually the owner or dog walker) is responsible for picking up after the dog.

Who removes dead animals from the roads?

Domestic animals are picked up by the Animal Services. Larger wildlife animals, such as deer, will be removed by a Public Works crew.