The Township of Scugog's Fire and Emergency Services have information about burning and burn permits, our fire stations and fleet, fire inspections and recruitment.

 About burning

Here are some frequently asked questions about burning in the Township of Scugog.

Do I need a permit to burn?
You need a burn permit for all burning within the Township of Scugog, including burning within a barrel.
How much does a burn permit cost?
General and/or recreational burn permits cost $37.  Oversize burn permits cost $116. We accept cash or cheques made payable to the Township of Scugog. Burn permits are valid for the calendar year in which they are issued.
How do I obtain a burn permit?

Residents can now apply for a recreational or general burn permit online. 

NEW: apply for an oversize, farm or specialty burn permit online. 

If you do not have an email address to apply for a permit please contact Fire Administration at 905-985-2384.

Who can apply for a burn permit?
Only property owners can apply for a burn permit. A tenant, worker or family member wishing to apply for a burn permit must submit written authorization from the property owner with their permit payment.
Do I need a burn permit for a campfire?
Yes, campfires are "recreational burns" under the Open Air Burning By-law and require a burn permit.
Am I allowed to have a chiminea?
Chimineas are "contained recreational burns" under the Open Air Burning By-law. You must obtain a Recreational Burn Permit.
Do I need to activate my burn permit?
No, all burn permits are automatically activated for the year they are issued in.
Is there a burn ban in effect?
No. To subscribe to burn ban alerts, please visit our Township news subscription page.  
If someone calls the Fire and Emergency Services to complain about my burning, will I be charged even if I have a burn permit?
You won't be charged, if you have a burn permit and follow Scugog's Open Air Burning By-law. If the smoke for your burn causes issues for your neighbour, you will be asked to put out your fire.

If you are not following the Open Air Burning By-law, you will have to pay the fees for services (cost of trucks and personnel to respond to the complaint about your burn). You may also be charged under the By-law.

How do I report a burning complaint?
If you have concern about a burn, call 9-1-1, ask for the Fire Department and explain the situation. A duty officer will investigate. Your name will not be released.
Are there limitations to burning?

Please note that only wood and/or brush are to be burned. As per the Open-Air Burning by-law, no person shall burn any material that is normally collected under the municipality's garbage, blue box or yard waste collection programs. Furthermore, no person shall burn petroleum products, plastic, rubber, household garbage, building material, demolition material or wood by-products.

You can learn more about burn permit requirements on our Burning and Burn Permits page

 About the department

Here are some frequently asked questions about the Township of Scugog's Fire and Emergency Services.

Is Scugog Fire and Emergency Services a full-time or volunteer department?
The Township of Scugog Fire and Emergency Services is made up of three full-time firefighters and many volunteer firefighters.
Are there any positions available with Scugog Fire and Emergency Services?
We accept applications for volunteer firefighters on an ongoing basis.
Where is the nearest fire station to my property?

Station 1, located in Port Perry serves Wards 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the Township of Scugog.

Station 2, located in Caesarea serves Ward 4 in the Township of Scugog.

Learn more about our fire stations.

If you require the distance that your property is from the responding fire hall for insurance purposes, we suggest that you drive to the appropriate fire hall and obtain the exact distance based on your odometer reading.

Is the Township of Scugog Tanker Shuttle Accredited?

The Township of Scugog Fire and Emergency Services has Tanker Shuttle Accreditation for Station 1, located at 30 Crandell Street, Port Perry. For more information on this accreditation please visit Fire Protection Survey Services website.

If you are a homeowner and your residence is located within 8 km (by road) of the Port Perry Fire Station, you may qualify for a discount for your home insurance. Additionally, if you own a commercial business located within 5 km (by road) of the Port Perry Fire Station, you may qualify for a discount for  your insurance.  Check with your insurance provider.

If you have any questions about our Tanker Shuttle Accreditation, or to obtain a copy of the Tanker Shuttle Accreditation certificate, please email Fire Administration or call 905-985-2384.

How do I schedule a tour of the fire station?

Scugog Fire is currently closed to the public due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.  Unfortunately we are unable to provide tours at the present. 

How do I schedule a fire inspection?

Fire inspections are scheduled through our Fire Prevention Officer, Kristy-Lynn Pankhurst.

Learn more about how to schedule a fire inspection.