The Township of Scugog is extending the closure for all public facilities, parks, playgrounds, recreation amenities, and cancelling programs and large events including Canada Day, up to July 3, 2020.
“The Township continues to assess and adjust our dates as needed,” said Scugog CAO, Paul Allore.
“We continue to listen to the health officials and decided to extend our closures in our ongoing effort to protect the health of our residents.”

The province announced a 28 day extension to their emergency declaration, extending the provincial emergency to May 12. However, Mayor Drew and the CAO, in consultation with the Emergency Control Group, expanded the Scugog closure date to July 3.
Mayor Drew expressed, “These decisions are not made lightly. We review the information coming from the health officials and we evaluated the work of the Township at this time. We decided that we will not be working on events that would see us bringing large groups of people together.” Mayor Drew shared further that Scugog is taking it one step at a time, “Not only are we acting in an abundance of caution, but, we also recognize that as time marches on, we will be unable to initiate the extensive planning that is required to execute events like Canada Day. This is disappointing for many, but cancelling is the right thing to do.”

Cancellations and postponements up to July 3 include:

  • Scugog Shores Museum Village & Archives seasonal opening postponed
  • Canoe the Nonquon Race cancelled
  • Birdseye Pool opening postponed
  • Canada Day Parade and Celebration cancelled

The July 3 extension of closures and cancellations of programs and events applies to both town led events and third-party event permits. Bookings for all Township facilities and sports field permits are also suspended up until and including, July 3, 2020.

The Township will be contacting all event organizers to advise them of the cancellations and will work with them to determine a potential future date, where possible, or issue a full refund for permit fees and security deposits.

The Township staff will also work on issuing refunds for all programs and any swimming lessons, up to July 3. Residents will receive a full refund without any administrative fees added. There is a large volume of registrants and refunds to process. Your patience is appreciated. 

“We thank all of our residents for their continued understanding and support,” said Mayor Drew. “We are monitoring the situation and remain hopeful. I look forward to brighter days when I can announce the reopening of our parks for gatherings and celebrations.”

If you have questions or require a service that is time sensitive, please call 905-985-7346 or email    

Any updates regarding the Township of Scugog’s response to COVID-19 will be communicated online at and through social media @TwpofScugog.

- 30 -

Media Contact
Lori Bowers
Manager Communications and Strategic Initiatives


Extends closures July 3(b) USE THIS

Contact Us