The Township of Scugog welcomes visitors, residents and business partners to attend meetings of Council. The public can apply to speak at a Planning & Community Affairs Committee meeting or a General Purpose & Administration Committee meeting, provided they follow specific guidelines.

How to speak at Council meeting

Contact the Clerk's department at 905-985-7346 to make a formal request to speak to Council and to verify availability on the agenda. Individuals will then be requested to complete the Delegation Request Form and submit the request online, by email or in person to the Municipal Office located at 181 Perry Street, Port Perry, ON L9L 1A7

Delegation Request Forms must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on the Tuesday before the Council meeting.   A date must be verified prior to submitting the form. 

Delegations take place at the beginning of a council meeting and individuals will have five (5) minutes to address council. Once delegations are complete, individuals have the option to leave the meeting or stay for the duration. If you do not feel comfortable speaking in front of Council, you may address a letter to the Mayor and Members of Council to be included in the Council agenda for review.

Referrals to senior staff

During a meeting, Council may decide to not make a decision on a matter due to the absence of necessary information. These matters are referred to senior staff to provide additional expertise or analysis on the matter. Items referred to staff will come back to Council or the General Purpose and Administration Committee through a staff report containing the requested information.

Planning applications

Individuals may attend the appropriate meeting to express their opinions, in person or in writing, to council regarding the following planning matters:

  • Rezoning
  • Official plan amendments
  • Land severance
  • Minor variance notices

Prior to making a decision on any planning matter, Council will call upon the public to express their opinions, for or against the matter. Individuals who disagree with a planning decision made by Council may contact one for the following departments for further direction: