A third party advertisement is an ad that supports, promotes, or opposes a candidate, or a “yes” or “no” answer to a question on the ballot.

Third party in this context means a person or entity who is not a candidate. Third party advertising is separate from any candidate’s campaign and must be done independently from a candidate.

Third party advertisers who wish to spend money on advertisements during the election must register with the Municipal Clerk and must file a financial statement.

Third Party Advertisers

 Who can register as a Third Party Advertiser?

Registration as a third party advertiser shall be restricted to the following persons and entities:
  • An individual who is normally a resident of Ontario;
  • A corporation that carries on a business in Ontario;
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

Who cannot register as a Third Party Advertiser?

The following persons and entities are not eligible to register as a third party advertiser:
  • A candidate whose nomination has been filed under section 33 of the Municipal Elections Act;
  • A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act (Canada) or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party;
  • A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act;
  • The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.

Note: Section 88.6(6) of the Municipal Elections Act (MEA) states that third party advertisements shall not be under the direction of a candidate whose nomination has been filed under section 33 of the MEA.

Election Information Sessions

Two information sessions were held in April for individuals considering running for local office, or registering a third party advertising campaign in October 2022. 

These sessions give you the information you need to be an informed election participant.
The sessions featured identical presentations by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing and covered:

  • Roles and responsibilities of elected officials
  • Staff and third party advertisers
  • Eligibility rules
  • Nomination process
  • Campaign finances
  • Compliance audit
  • Voters’ list and voting proxy
  • Scrutineers
  • Recounts
  • Resources

 The links below will provide you with the PowerPoint presentation slides and the recorded livestream through Vimeo.

 Election information session - PowerPoint Slides

 Election info session - 13 April 2022 - on Vimeo

Registration Procedure

An individual, corporation or trade union may register as a third party advertiser by filing a Notice of Registration at the Clerk’s office, Township of Scugog Municipal Administration Building, 181 Perry Street, Port Perry, Ontario, L9L 1A7, during normal office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) commencing Monday, May 2, 2022.  The deadline for filing a Notice of Registration is Friday, October 21, 2022 at 4:30 p.m. *Appointments are required when registering as a Third-Party Advertiser.

The individual filing the Notice of Registration must present proof of identity and a declaration of qualification signed by the individual or by a representative of the corporation or trade union, as the case may be.

There is no registration fee for third party advertising, but the Clerk must examine the registration and then certify the notice of registration if deemed compliant or reject the registration.

Third party advertisers are required to book an appointment with the Office of the Clerk to submit their registration. To book an appointment, contact the Office of the Clerk by email at elections@scugog.ca

Until the Town Clerk certifies your registration, a Third Party Advertiser may not incur campaign expenses, accept contributions or begin advertising.

Further information related to these requirements or any other issues related to the Municipal Election in the Township of Scugog may be obtained from the Clerk’s office by calling 905-985-7346 or emailing elections@scugog.ca

Note: Notices of Registration are public documents and are available for inspection at the Municipal Clerk’s office.

What Third Party Advertisers' need to Register

Third Party Advertisers Checklist

Election Forms for Third Party Advertisers'

*Note - if the forms do not open from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs website, go to your downloads folder. The pdf document can be found there, by sorting by the most current date modified. 

Third Party Advertisers' Handbook and Guide

*Note - if the handbook or guide do not open, go to your downloads folder. The pdf document can be found there.