The Township of Scugog's Fence By-law lists requirements for the height, location and design of fences, including:
- A maximum height of 2 m for backyard fences
- A maximum height of 1.2 m for front yard fences
- A maximum height of 0.75 m for fences along the outside corner of properties located next to intersections
Before You Dig
Before you dig on or near your property, call 1-800-400-2255 to have someone locate any service lines.
If you'd like to put up a fence that doesn't follow our Fence By-law, apply for a fence variance and include:
- A completed fence variance application form
- $250 application fee
- A detailed outline and description of your planned fence
- A site plan, including a north arrow, drawing scale, location of the fence and any existing or proposed structures
Our by-law officers may need more information once they receive your application.
Line fences show the boundary between your property and any property next to yours. One property owner or a group of property owners can put up a line fence. All property owners involved must agree to the location of the property lines. Legal survey plans can help determine these boundaries.
The Line Fences Act includes information about what to do if there's a dispute between property owners about a line fence. Owners who aren't able to reach an agreement can apply to have the Township of Scugog's fence viewers settle the disagreement in two cases:
- When there is no line fence and one owner wants a new fence to be put up to mark the boundary between two properties
- When there is already a line fence but one owner wants it to be reconstructed or repaired
There is a $250 application fee and additional fees for the fence viewing. Contact the Municipal Law Enforcement Office at 905-985-7346 to set up an appointment to discuss a fence viewer application.
Fences Around Swimming Pools
For more information please visit the Fence, Pool and Hot Tub Permits page.