Skip to main content Skip to footer

Marriage Licences

Marriage Licence Applications are available online or from the Township of Scugog Municipal Office located at 181 Perry Street, Port Perry. 

A marriage licence can only be issued to the applicant(s). Ontario Marriage Licences are valid anywhere in the Province of Ontario for 90 days from the date of issue. 

Marriage licence applications can be processed Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays) during the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  An appointment is required for intake of the application. Marriage licences may be issued same day based on Staff availability. 

Please click here for our online Marriage Licence Application 

A marriage licence application must be completed and signed by both applicants.  At least one applicant needs to be present to process the application.  Original identification is required for both parties, regardless of whether both parties are present at the time the licence is processed. Please bring your original documents, as photocopies or expired ID will not be accepted. For more information feel free to visit the Service Ontario website.  

A marriage licence in the Township of Scugog costs $151.00 (non-refundable). Payment can be made by: 

  • Cash 
  • Cheque 
  • Debit 

Two pieces of government issued identification are required from each applicant.  Once piece of identification must include a photo.  Examples of government issued identification are: 

  • Government issued Birth Certificate including any change of name certificates 
  • Valid Passport 
  • Valid Driver's Licence 
  • Canadian Citizenship Card 
  • Valid Ontario photo card 
  • Permanent Residency Card 
  • Native Status Card 
  • Records of Immigration Landing 

At least one piece of identification must be a photo-identifying document. Please bring your original documents, as photocopies or expired ID will not be accepted. 

Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older.  Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent.  Additional documentation requiring the signature of a parent or guardian is required.  

No person under the age of 16 can marry in the Province of Ontario. 

If an applicant was divorced in Canada, the original or a court-certified true copy of the Certificate of Divorce (Form 36B) or Decree Absolute must be provided with their licence application. A Divorce Order, Divorce Judgement or Decree Nisi will not be accepted. 

We do not accept photocopies of these documents. Certified true copies may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. 

If an applicant was divorced, or had a marriage dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, additional documentation is required before applying for a marriage licence. Please review the Marriage Licence Requirements for divorce granted outside of Canada

In Ontario a judge, justice of the peace or an authorized municipal clerk can perform civil marriage ceremonies. 

Municipalities in Ontario can choose to offer civil marriage services and set their own fees. The Township of Scugog does not provide civil marriage services; however, many of our neighbouring Municipalities will perform these services. 

An officiate of a recognized religion who has received authorization from the Office of the Registrar General to perform marriages in Ontario can perform a religious marriage ceremony. 

Learn more about who performs marriage ceremonies. 

After your marriage ceremony, you have three options regarding your name: 

  1. Continue to use your current last name 
  1. Assume the use of your spouse's last name 
  1. Legally change your last name 

Using your spouse's last name 

Most government organizations, credit card companies and other organizations accept a copy of the formal marriage certificate as proof of marriage and will issue revised identification for the spouse under their new last name. 

Legally changing your last name 

To legally change your last name, you must complete the required forms and submit them to the Office of the Registrar General

View the Change of Name Act for more information or call the Registrar General's Office at 1-800-461-2156

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.