It is important for local businesses to plan ahead and prepare for an emergency? According to the Institute for Business & Home Safety, "without a business continuity plan, one in four businesses forced to shut down because of a disaster never reopens."
You need to consider a number of things about your business in order to create a business continuity plan, such as:
- What are your current records management practices?
- Are your documents and backup files stored on or off site?
- Is there a way to access key information in the event of an emergency?
- Do you have alternate facilities available, if needed?
- Do you have a backup source of electricity, such as a generator?
- Do you have alternate suppliers, if needed?